The Rev. John Hale Farm
39 Hale Street, Beverly
Open Saturdays, 11am - 3pm
In August, also open Fridays,
11am - 3pm
Special thanks to the Friendly Garden Club of Beverly
and the Beverly Improvement Society
Driving Directions: Click Here
John Hale was born in Charlestown, MA in 1636 and came to Beverly to preach when it was still known as the "Bass River Side" of Salem. John Hale served as the pastor in Beverly until his death in 1700; he was buried in the Abbot Street cemetery.
Hale played a role in the 1692 Salem witchcraft trials and later wrote a book published posthumously,"A Modest Inquiry Into the Nature of Witchcraft," in an effort to explain what had happened. That book was written at Hale Farm. Hale had two children, Rebecca and Robert, with his first wife, Rebecca. The children were threatened with witchcraft by Margaret Lord, the Hales' cook, who was stealing from the house. She claimed that her accomplice, Dorcas Hoar, was a witch who would harm them or burn the house if they told their parents. Hoar was charged as a witch in 1692, but not executed. After Rebecca died, he married Sarah Noyes. Sarah was mentioned as an afflicting apparition in a statement by Mary Herrick to John Hale and Joseph Gerrish of Wenham in November of 1692.
The oldest part of the house, two rooms up and two rooms down, was built for Reverend Hale in 1694. In 1745, Colonel Robert Hale, Jr. (John Hale's grandson), added the front section of the house with the gambrel roof. He excavated a cellar (where evidence of a buttery has been found), added the present staircases, and built an addition of two rooms down and two up, along with the gambrel roof that allowed rooms on the third floor. The property at that time included about 100 acres and extended to the ocean.
In 1881, Robert Hale Bancroft of Boston, who had inherited Hale Farm from his mother, converted the house into a summer estate for his family. He added a wing for a new kitchen and laundry in 1881, and servant quarters in 1898. Bancroft died in 1918. In 1937, his daughters sold the property to the Beverly Historical Society.