The collections of the Beverly Historical Society include books, records, photographs, and newspapers relating to Beverly and Essex County, as well as a large collection of maritime documents and genealogical records.
Are you researching:
- Early settlement in Massachusetts? Search our records on Beverly's Old Planters and early houses in Essex County.
- Beverly's role in the American Revolution? We have extensive records, including the papers of William Bartlett, George Washington's naval agent.
- The history of your Beverly house, business or property? Consult our maps, directories, photos, family histories and more.
Begin your research with a look at our most commonly used resources for Beverly history.
- Your family history? We also have great genealogical resources.
Tuesday and Saturday 10am-4pm, and Wednesday 1pm-9pm. Alternate times can be scheduled with advance arrangements. We strongly encourage researchers to schedule appointments in advance to ensure that we can assist you properly. Contact us at (978) 922-1186 ext. 202 or email .
Frequently used research material is available by clicking on this link: Research Resources.
Genealogical resources are listed by clicking: genealogical resources.
If you are interested in using books from the library, check our on-line catalog: MASSCAT Library Catalog before your visit.
Additional resources are available (on-line sources including ancestry, HisGen, other affiliations)
Access to the research library and Walker Transportation Collection for non-members is $5.00 per hour; access includes a tour of the Cabot House Museum. Beverly Historical Society members receive free access. Teachers and students receive the first hour free of charge. Please note that many items in our collections are stored in closed stacks, and require a research fee to access. The Society is happy to provide historical or genealogical research services.
- Research fees, 1 hour minimum (access to most collections and staff assistance) $15.00/first hour $10.00/each additional
- Remote/off hours research, non-member: $25.00 each hour/minimum one hour
- Remote/off hours research,member: $20.00 each hour/minimum one hour
Please discuss your research needs with staff for an estimate of cost.
Photocopies are available at $.25/page. Due to the delicate condition of some manuscripts, the staff reserves the right to not photocopy some material.
If a visit to our facility isn't possible, please fill out the research request form which will be sent directly to our research staff. Please state briefly what is known, what data
is sought and any sources already consulted. Please be as detailed as possible and fill
out the form completely, including both e-mail and postal mailing address if possible.